Monday, March 1, 2010

Inspirations

Before anyone accuses me of unoriginality, let me begin this project by being quite clear on one point. I know that what I'm doing is nothing new.

Books of advice abound, and I've read many of them. I've just never seen one that specifically addresses itself to Geeks in particular, so I thought I'd try my hand at it. My hope is that writing in very tiny chunks will make my New Year's resolution of sitting down and writing something every day easier, while still producing something entertaining to others.

Before I begin, though, I want to take a second to acknowledge all my inspirations. These books have done advice before me and done it well. I highly recommend checking them out if you enjoy what I'm trying to do here.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Watching Star Trek by Dave Marinaccio

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff--and it's all small stuff by Richard Carlson

Life's Little Instruction Book series by H. Jackson Brown Jr.


I'm particularly beholden to author Walker Lamond, whose inspired me with his recently released book Rules for My Unborn Son, which is the result of his long-kept Tumblr of the same name. Watching his project unfold and reach publication has provided me with powerful motivation to start a project of my own, as well as hours of entertainment. I hope to follow his model first with this blog, then by posting my own Kindle e-book to Amazon one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment